I bought a massive amount of Love Beets at Costco about a week ago and have been trying to figure out what the hell to do with all of them. I made a salad with them yesterday, but have recently been SUPER excited about trying my hand at Chocolate + Beet brownies. Weird, right? I’ve seen them pop up in the vegan/vegetarian world many times, but wanted to make my own kind and spruce them up a little bit.
According to Dr. Mercola, “Beets are high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium (essential for healthy nerve and muscle function) and manganese (which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas). Beets also contain the B vitamin folate, which helps reduce the risk of birth defects.” Well all be damned! Better eat your freakin beets, people! And what better way than mixed into brownies so you can’t taste that earthy flavor? No shade on that flavor, because I freaking LOVE beets, but I know some people cannot stand the taste. This post is for you! I’ve also hidden some high-quality protein in here with MY FAVE Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides.
This recipe is not hard by any means (because I hate super complicated recipes) but you will need to puree the cooked beets in a food processor or Vitamix/high-powered blender. Enjoy these with a glass of Homemade Cashew Milk!
- 1 Cup Pureed Beets, cooked
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Whole Eggs
- ¼ Cup Non-Dairy Milk
- ¼ Cup Avocado Oil (or coconut oil)
- ¼ Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 5 Tbsp Cacao
- ½ tsp Real Salt
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Scoops Vital Protein Collagen Peptides
- Optional: handful of Enjoy Life chocolate chips to top
- Preheat oven to 350 + grease a 7x11 pan with coconut oil or coconut oil spray
- In your food processor (or Vitamix) add cooked beets and pulse on high until puréed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pureed beets, vanilla, eggs, non-dairy milk and avocado oil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, cacao, baking soda, baking powder, collagen, and salt.
- Whisk the dry into the wet ingredients until well combined
- Pour the batter into your 7x11 baking pan + top with a handful of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until fork inserted in the middle comes out clean.