If you’ve been following me for any period of time, especially on Instagram, you know how much I use and LOVE Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides. Though I rant and rave about them all the time and try to share as much info as possible, I still get a lot of questions about “what exactly are collagen peptides” and why do I use them? Let get to it!
What Are Collagen Peptides?
Collagen is the most abundant amino acid (protein) in our bodies and is a key constituent of all connective tissues, providing the infrastructure of the musculoskeletal system, essential for mobility. Derived from the connective tissue of vertebrate animals, collagen can be found in bone, bone marrow, cartilage, tendons, and ligaments. According to Vital Proteins, “The process for making collagen peptides involves treating the bovine hides with an alkaline solution of lime and water, which is heated to a maximum of 190 degrees Fahrenheit. The peptides are made with enzymes which break down the protein further. The enzyme process does not involve high heat and results in a very fresh tasting product.”
What Can Collagen Help With?
- Encourage healing from leaky gut syndrome
- Support healing from food allergies + sensitivities
- Strengthen hair, skin, and nails
- Support healthy joints
- Reduce Cellulite
- Quality source of protein
- Boosts the immune system by strengthening the gut (80% of the immune system is in the gut!)
How Exactly Does Collagen Help?
- Hair, skin, and nails– anti-aging for the skin, builds strong hair + nails, reduces cellulite + stretch marks by increasing collagen stores in the body and increasing skin elasticity
- Joints– prevents joint degeneration + supplies healthy collagen to cushion our joints
- Digestion– supports the integrity of the intestinal lining + heals leaky gut, relieves IBS, Crohn’s, Ulcerative Colitis and Acid Reflux Symptoms, aids in food allergy relief, helps to hydrate and rebuild the mucosal lining of the intestinal wall
- Detoxification– helps minimize damage your liver experiences when it absorbs foreign substances, toxins or alcohol that can slow down detoxification pathways, supports a healthy mucosal barrier in the digestive system which helps to trap and expel foreign substances
- Metabolism– builds + repairs muscle tissue, maintains muscle + connective tissue health, boosts nutrient absorption and synthesis
- Mental Health– boosts mental clarity by supplying vital amino acids to lower stress hormones like Cortisol/Norepinephrine and increase feel good hormones like GABA
Why Vital Proteins?
I have found their products to be much easier to blend into various foods + liquids as compared to other comparable products on the market. I also 100% believe in the efficacy and standard of their products (all grass-fed non-GMO sourcing) and absolutely love the versatility and flavors they have been creating! This company is dedicated to creating REAL FOOD supplements for REAL LIFE that are simple, delicious, and versatile. They’re the real dal and you’re missing out if you’re not getting some collagen in your life!
My Personal Experience With Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides:
I’ve never really had any major skin issues, but since moving to Colorado from the humid east coast I’ve noticed my skin has VERY different needs and has a tough time staying hydrated. Consuming collagen daily has been SUPER important for me to maintain healthy, vibrant looking skin and is hands down one of my favorite, non-conventional beauty products. I’ve been receiving a ton of compliments on my hair and nails as well, and I’m positive it’s because of collagen. I always use to have super fine, unhealthy hair that would break + fall out pretty frequently and I don’t seem to have that issue anymore!
As for digestive health… y’all know I’ve had my fair share of f***ed up digestion and that I still experience hiccups along my path to complete healing. Collagen has been a MAJOR player in optimizing the healing of my digestive system and is my go-to on days when my GI tract is less than optimal. I’ve noticed major changes in my energy + metabolism since taking collagen the last few years.
I also make collagen a part of many Nutritional Therapy protocols for my clients and they all report major changes in their joints, mobility, hair, skin, nails and digestive health after consuming collagen for a few months. Everyone seems to enjoy the variability and versatility of this product and it’s easy for everyone to use!
Do Collagen Peptides Taste Like Anything?
No. No they do not. You can add them to your water bottle for the day and not even notice it- seriously! That is of course if you’re buying the plain peptides and not the Vanilla Collagen Peptides or some of their Cocoa Collagen Whey or something else.
My Favorite Ways To Consume Collagen:
- Mixed Into Baked Goods (like this ooey-gooey chocolate chip banana bread!)
- Gelatin Gummies (made with Gelatin, not Collagen)
- Stirred into Oatmeal (hot or cold)
- Mixed into gluten free french toast
Got more questions for me? Leave a comment below!
I may be compensated through my affiliate links in this post, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for your support with What Cait Ate!